My lesson this week involved teaching an after school class
of 1st graders. With this class, I was given the green light to teach any topic
of my choice. During first few weeks I taught the students phonics but this
lesson moved onto numbers (1-10). I wasn’t sure if the students had prior
knowledge of numbers in English. So to make sure that I activated schema, I put
a number of different materials in four separate bags. For example, I had a yellow,
purple, green and blue bag. The bags had an item inside that corresponded with
a number. The yellow bag had two DVDs, the purple bag had 6 dice, the green bag
had 5 balls, the blue bag had seven glue sticks, and so forth.
As the warm-up started, I place myself at the front of the
classroom with the “mystery bags” visibly lined up. The main goal of the
warm-up was to engage the students’ interests by activating schema. The students
did not know what was inside in the bag, but they took some guesses, such as candy,
pencils and scissors.
I had the students tell me which bag to open to see what was
inside. I then pulled out the item(s) and elicited the students to count out
loud.
Here’s an example from the lesson:
- Me: [picked the purple bag and pulled out a glue stick]
- Ss: Glue! [ in Korean]
- Me: Yea! Glue.
- Me: One! [took out one glue stick]
- Me: Two! [hand motioning students to count with me as I pulled more out]
- Ss: Three!
- Ss: Four!
- Ss: Five!
- Ss: Six!
After we counted, I drew the items on the board to help build
for the main activity.
I knew that I promoted monologic discourse with the students,
but that was actually my goal. I had no how much knowledge my students knew
about numbers, so I had to be extremely basic and monologic with my discourse.
As an intro lesson warm-up I felt that I achieved what I set out to do for this
lesson. Next time I could ask the students to guess how many items I will be
pulling out to make sure that the students are active.
Sounds fun. Wonder though, Victor whether you cold be getting more language out of those little kiddies. For example, could you write or model/drill 'how many'... And teach the words with repetition for the things (glue sticks) as they arise in class, so that you can elicit 'how many glue sticks are there?' And so on?
ReplyDeleteTom,
ReplyDeleteYou are exactly right. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I chose to keep as simple as possible. The after school class is never consistent. There are new kids constantly rotating every week and I have no idea what their skill levels are. I guess I got nervous and afraid of confusing them. I totally should have added an extra phrase for sure. Cheers for the idea!