When creating my lesson plan, I wanted to challenge myself to create an activity that I could use in my own classroom and not just a ‘one-shot’ lesson.
I decided to incorporate a cultural aspect with my 5th graders textbook unit on ‘time’. I
thought that it would be interesting for the students to experience the lives
of two different high school students. At first I was going to compare two
non-Korean high school students, but then I thought that my students would gain more meaning if one of the students was from Korea. I found two videos of high
school students. One was a Korean male and the other was a Finnish female.
At the start of the lesson I had the high school students’
picture side-by-side on a PPT slide. I asked the class what they saw and then
had class pair-up to decide which country the students were from. So I started
off by showing the Korean high school student’s day. I wanted to show his video
first because the class can gain an instant connection with the Korean student.
After the video, I wanted the students to use the TLC intended for the lesson.
I had the students to describe what the high school student did by eliciting the
third person form. Throughout the lesson, I wanted to produce as much opportunities
for my class to practice English, so I had them ask and answer phrases such as,
“What time does he get up?” and “He gets up at seven fifty.” I followed the same
procedure with the Finnish high school girl (watching her day and breaking it
down by time) and had the class practice asking and answering again.
The last part of the activity is where the cultural discussion
comes into play. In the MT, I didn’t have time for the class to complete the
Venn diagram. The students were supposed to discuss in pairs for about 5 minutes
to come up with similarities and differences with the two high school students’
day. A full class discussion will then take place by asking why and how are the
cultures different and what might be the expectations of the parents and society
for the students.
In the practice and producing part of the lesson, I would have the students interview each other about their day. The students would have to report back and state their interviewee’s day using the third person. I could also give the students an assignment to research a family member or a celebrity’s daily routine and then have them present it to other students in the class using the third person form.
I think that for my younger learners, the little ‘C’ aspect
of the cultural lesson might be harder for them to be aware of than big ‘C’. I
have to also realize that my students are still growing and gaining life experiences, so focusing too much on little ‘C’ might lead to some
confusion. I would also have to point out to my students that both of the
videos are extreme models of the two cultures and that not everyone has the
similar routines.
Overall, I thought the lesson could have a better balance of
TLC and cultural discourse. But again, combining these two with the class
textbook is difficult. I tried to make it as student centered as possible but
looking back at only the video, I would have say the ratio might have favored
the teacher 60:40 in terms of discourse (not including the Venn diagram activity).
My main focus during the MT was to practice different MIC’s and
to refine my ‘Top Down’ instructions. I thought that I had a good amount of MIC’s
through the activity. Also, I thought my explanations have improved a lot more
since starting the STG course. I find myself not having to repeat my
instructions a number of times, but rather stating them simply and efficiently.
At the start of the STG course, I (and I’m
sure that I’m not the only one) thought that incorporating culture into an ESL
lesson would be a piece of cake. Well, I can now say that having gone through
14+ weeks of ICC, it’s pretty damn difficult to fit culture into young learners’
lesson. Trying to incorporate different cultural aspects within a specific unit
of a lesson is daunting. But it's definitely a learning skill that will need time to develop.
No comments:
Post a Comment