Friday, May 17, 2013

ICC Cultural Lesson #2: Food and Countries




I taped this lesson about a week and a half ago as a test run. I wanted to use this lesson with two students so I could establish some sort of discourse. So, I totally failed to round-up two students for this lesson. I was stood-up at least twice by different students and couldn’t tape a new lesson.

This cultural lesson focused on learning about different countries and their foods. The lesson started out with learning the different countries; China, Korea, America, Spain, Italy, France, England, Australia, Russia, Mexico, Brazil, India and Canada. The student labeled the map as a review activity. If I had two students, I would have them review and work together to complete the map. The student then repeated the names of the countries as I showed PPT. Next the student was shown the flags and pictures and had to guess which country it was.

The next step was to introduce foods from some of the countries. The foods were kimchi, poutine, sushi, curry, pizza, hamburgers, fish and chips, egg noodles, croissants and tortillas. The student had to match up the foods with the country using the phrase “(food) + is/are from + (country)”. I have been working with this student before about singular and plural words, so he was able to link the foods with the correct form. If I had the correct number of students to perform this activity, I would have had them pair up to complete the matching by creating the phrases in singular or plural forms.

Going through each food, the student was able to create the correct form and match the food with their country. For example, the students would pick up a food card and then say “curry is from India” and “hamburgers are from America”. The last part of the lesson was to go over the foods and check if the student matched up the foods correctly. I had the student repeat the phrases and self-correct any mismatched items.

My goal will still be to find two students to try this out. I think that the overall plan for this lesson is a good way to incorporate foods and the use of singular and plural words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment