Friday, May 24, 2013

Pronunciation: Repeating (1st Grade Lesson on Weather)



This is was the first time that I taught 1st graders a lesson on weather, so I had to make sure that the first lesson used a lot of repetition. I didn't have time to find a video to elicit any schema, so I thought the best thing to do was to just think out loud and ponder the question "How's the weather?" and have the students repeat. Then continuing to the next slide, I would elicit and have the students ask me "Victor, how's the weather?". I would show the next slide and say "It's sunny". I would have the students repeat "How's the weather?" and "It's _______." for all different types of weather. After the repeating, I had the students finish a worksheet that linked the types of weather and pictures.

Looking back on this, I should have reviewed with a different and clearer schema. The repetition seemed successful at the start, but the follow up activity was extremely weak. The students didn't practice what they have just learned, so it didn't stick in their long-term memory. We basically just looked at pictures of the weather repeated and then moved on, never to speak what they just practiced. The follow up lesson to this should hopefully address all these problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment