Friday, May 24, 2013
Pronunciation: Chaining (First Attempt) (5th Grade Lesson on Time)
So I had a change two weeks ago and performed my first attempt at chaining (front and back). The unit was on telling time and then practicing the chunks "What time do you ____?" and "I _____ at [time]". I wasn't actually planning to do this with this particular lesson, but as I was introducing the new phrases, it seemed like a great chance to try it out. I didn't have a chance to practice, but I think that back-chaining produced a better flow for my students than front-chaining. Here's examples of how I did it:
T: Have breakfast.
S: Have breakfast.
T: What time do you.
S: What time do you.
T: What time do you have breakfast?
S: What time do you have breakfast?
T: Do homework.
S: Do homework.
T: What time do you homework?
S: What time do you homework?
During the chaining, a few of the students went off task and started talking. You can clearly see my frustration at around the ~6 minute mark. So, it was definitely not the smoothest, and I should had the students chain with hand motions. I really think it is something I have to start using this more, because it seemed to create a flow and rhythm with the students' pronunciation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment