Friday, May 3, 2013

MT#2 Listening (Reflection)





(forgot to start video at the start of the lesson)

SELF-REFLECTION

My feeling about my MT:
1. I thought that the lesson was interesting for the students. The use of ‘real’ people is something different than characters they would hear from a book. I felt that the students could’ve spoken a lot more. I was in control of the conversation for most of the time.

Comparing with previous MT's, what style was positive?
2. I feel that I am starting to maximize the opportunities for students to speak English. Something simple like repeating instructions make a huge difference. I’m letting the students talk about the activity, instead of controlling all the discourse.

The classroom atmosphere:
3. I thought that the classroom felt relaxed and that the lesson was easy to follow. Although, I should have had the students work in pairs instead of individually. This way, students could help each other and focus on the conversation.

Did I use the WB as planned and MIC techniques?
4. Yes, I just wanted to show how to use the worksheet and to list instructions on what to do. I previewed the lesson that I was with my friends and I spoke to them about their week. I also used visuals to help back up the listening activity.

Did all the students have a chance to talk?
5. The students were able to talk to each other after each time they listened to the dialog. The students were able to discuss what they heard in each conversation.

Did I give the students a chance to speak?
6. No, actually I gave instructions for the listening activity only so the students were not asked questions at that point of the lesson. The students had to speak with one another after listening to each conversation.

Communicative T-Talk vs. Evaluative T-Talk:
7. The ratio didn’t really exist at that point of the lesson. The activity was a listening based, so the students were going to be asked questions at the end of the audio. 

What have I learned about myself as a person/teacher so far?
8. I learned that I could have had the students repeat and ask each other what were the instructions before they started listening to the audio. There are still many moments that I could have the students repeat and use English. It’s something that I have to get better working on. I am coming along slowly.





1 comment:

  1. I know we discussed this after your microteaching but I wanted to say it again. I like the idea of using authentic speakers and language. I think there is a lot of input to work with but perhaps too much if students are similar to my fifth graders. Shorter activities/tasks are always better for elementary. Nothing more than 10 -15 minutes of the same style of task. You said this was for partner work, perhaps on the paper itself you can have names of only one of the speaker available for each partner to fill out. I would also reduce the number of questions from 8/10 to 4/5 for each pair. Then make it a gap fill exercise after where students can get the other half of the information even though they heard it once. They would be primed to hear that information more easily from their partner.

    ReplyDelete