Thursday, March 14, 2013

Changing the Discourse Dynamics.

After watching my warm-up #1. I found that I often rushed the students in producing speech. In my transcripts, the last student I was helping was having a hard time following the script that I had given them. When I approached the student, I saw myself dominating the dialog, almost allowing no appropriate time for the student to process and produce any thought. So, this week I tried to let my students have some more time after a question was asked or an activity was explained. This hopefully allowed my students to have more time to comprehend what was being said or asked of them.

During one activity, a student was not able to remember what sound the letter 'M' made. So instead of correcting the student right away, I gave him some time to listen again as I said "monkey" two more times. As I waited, I told him he could ask his classmates for help. A classmate was able to help him out and he then produced the correct sound. I liked the fact that I waited and that I only gave hints instead of giving him a direct answer.

Sometimes, the thought process is more important than the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment