Monday, March 11, 2013

Co-Teacher Interview + Transcription


I had a chance to interview my co-teacher during her busiest moment of the day! Here are the questions I asked with paraphrased responses (full answers are in the video):

1.     What’s your name?
A.    My name is Galam Kim.

2.     How old are you?
A.    I am 27.

3.     Where were you born and what’s your nationality?
A.    I am Korean and I was born in Korea, in Seoul.

4.     What is your profession now?
A.    I am an elementary school teacher. And I currently teach English.

5.     What grades do you teach?
A.    3rd graders and 5th graders.

6.     What is your native language?
A.    Oh yea, Korean.

7.     Do you speak any other languages?
A.    I speak… I can speak English and a little bit of Chinese.

8.     Did you learn English is school?
A.    Yea, when I was young. When I was in middle school, because when I was in elementary school, we didn’t have English subject in curriculum. So, I started learning English in middle school… officially.

9.     How old were you when you started learning English?
A.    Like personally I started learning English when I was ten years old, because my mom bought me some English video tapes… so I watched it like animation movies… yea.

10.  Why did you start learning English?
A.    Why? At that time I didn’t have like special motivations. That was just one of subjects that I have to study.

11.  Can you describe a typical English class when you studied in school? What did the students do?
A.    In middle school and high school… ehh… an English teacher just explains grammar points and some special important idioms, or vocabularies. And he or she explains how to translate it in English and all the students just write down in the notes. Not… really. But teacher can ask some questions, and what is the answer and the students will raise their hands. Answer A, answer C, multiple choice like unfortunately, I didn’t have that teachers.

12.  What do you do now to learn English?

A.    Yea, I listen to some English radio programs in my free time and sometimes I try to read English newspapers, or news articles on my I, my phone.

13.  Do you speak English with your siblings or friends?
A.    Eh, no at home with my family but sometimes when I meet my like foreign friends, yeah, I speak English.

14.  If I were your English teacher, what would you want to tell me about yourself, about how you learn best?
A.    If you were my English teacher. Eh… My interests is like traveling and movies and music so when it comes to traveling or movies or some words. Yea, I’d like to, love to talk about it. So, I hope to learn about those topics in English, and also I’m like a visuals learner, I like, like, watching movies or some pictures, so yea. If you use that.

No comments:

Post a Comment