Friday, May 24, 2013

1st grade lesson on number + schema (animals)




This was a 1st grade lesson on numbers. After the warm-up songs I used common zoo animals to activate schema. I had six animals on a PPT slide and quickly showed students the pictures. I asked the students to talk in their groups and discuss what animals they saw on the slide. This worked out better than I thought. Even thought the majority of the language was in Korean, the students were interested in talking about what animals they saw. I asked the students what animals they saw and 'how many [animals] were there?' I then started to elicit where they can find all these animals, but that attempt failed. The students didn’t have the word ‘zoo’ in their vocabulary yet. The funny part was that the students knew the way it was supposed to be spelled. I proceeded to let the students know that we were counting animals. As we went through the PPT slides, the students repeated the numbers and animals:

T: “It’s a monkey.”
S: “It’s a monkey.”
T: “One monkey”
S: “One monkey”

Looking back on this part of the presentation, I think I may have confused the students going into the practice stage. That is where the lesson goes a bit south. In the practice stage, I had two students model a card matching game with me. The activity is to hand number cards for students (1-10) and have them mix the cards and lay them on their desks. The students have to turn two cards over attempting to find and match identical numbers. For example, as the students pick up and turn around each card they have to say “it’s one” or “it’s four”. I knew as the students started playing the game, many of the students were just saying the numbers without using “it’s”. My intent was to have students say a complete phrase instead of just the number. So, I’m going to count this as a learning lesson for next time. I need to be more consistent in what TLC I want and expect the students to say, and to scaffold the lesson a little more smoothly.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. Maybe rather than "it's", you could find animal pics like your activity and students could play looking for the e.g. two pics of 3 monkeys, saying "3 monkeys" and "2 zebras", for example? Maybe your learners would feel there's more reason to say a phrase? Also -- in your warm-up, it's not activating schema if most of the learners don't have the vocabulary (you mention they are speaking Korean). Just pointing this out -- maybe a pic of a zoo, elicit what they do know, then go through your slides?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, that would've been better. I found out that they didn't even know some of the animals in Korean. :(

      So I had to think on the fly and then got flustered during the slides. Tough part is that these 1st graders only have me for 40 minutes a week and some students come and go. So I have to constantly make the input stick.

      Delete