Questions about your teaching:
1. What did you set out to teach?
a. I wanted to have my students start the school year by having a chance to introduce themselves in English with a few questions.
2. Where you able to accomplish your goals?
a. Yes, I believe I was able to have the students ask and interact with one another.
3. What teaching materials did you use? How effective where they?
a. I used a ppt presentation and a worksheet. The ppt was important to model the activity to the class.
4. What techniques did you use?
a. I used choral repetition, students asks to students, pair work, teacher models to students, modeling, teacher models with repetition, self correction and peer correction. I believe that the modeling of the activity was the most effective. I say this because it showed how to ask the questions properly.
5. What grouping arrangements did you use?
a. I had the students work in pairs to complete the dialogue
6. Was your lesson teacher dominated?
a. No, the students had a chance to practice the dialogue in pairs.
7. What kind of teacher student interaction occurred?
a. I had the students repeat the dialogue during the modeling of the activity. Also, during the activity, I had a chance to interact with the students and to see how they were doing.
8. Did anything amusing or unusual occur?
a. Nothing out of the ordinary occurred. The students seemed to have understood and enjoyed the lesson.
9. Did you have any problems with the lesson?
a. I should have had the chance for students to practice more before starting the activity.
10. Did you do anything unusual?
a. The fact that I was running around with a camera in my hand during the activity made some students shy.
11. What kinds of decision making did you employ?
a. The students were able to choose their partners.
12. Did you depart from your lesson plan?
a. No, I carried out the lesson plan.
13. What was the main accomplishment of the lesson?
a. I wanted each student to at least try the dialogue and to feel comfortable communicating in English.
14. Which parts of the lesson were most successful?
a. During the repetition of the dialogue and when the activity started were the best parts.
15. Which parts of the lesson where least successful?
a. I don’t know if all the students were able to understand the context of the dialogue.
16. Would you teach the lesson differently if you taught the lesson again?
a. I might have given more examples and more time for the students to practice.
17. Was your philosophy of teaching reflected in the lesson?
a. Yes, I wanted the students’ dialogue to have relevance with the real world.
18. Did you discover anything new about your teaching?
a. Yes, I still need to broaden my view and focus on the students that were coasting through the activity. In this type of activity, it is hard to focus on every student and how they are engaging the lesson.
19. What changes do you think you should make in your teaching?
a. I want to make sure that all students participate in the activity, meaning that I must scan the room during active lessons such as this one.
Questions about the students.
1. Did you teach all your students today?
a. Yes, I taught all my 5th grade classes.
2. Did students contribute actively to the lesson?
a. Yes, the students participated in the activity.
3. How did you respond to different students needs?
a. I tried my best to make sure that students were actively seeking other students for their dialogue. But I wasn't sure if all students were able to do the task with efficiency.
4. Were students challenged by the lesson?
a. I think that the lesson was the appropriate level and that it was non-bias for all students.
5. What do you think students really learned from the lesson?
a. I think that the students were able to gain some confidence in speaking English from a long winter break. I also hoped that the students were able to practice and make friends in the process.
6. What did they most like about the lesson?
a. I believe the students enjoyed moving around and having the freedom to speak with their friends.
7. What didn't they respond well to?
a. I believe that the lower level students might have possibly had a hard time at the start of the activity. They were not sure what to say or even too shy to approach a fellow student. I have to address this problem in my future lessons.
Questions to ask yourself as a language teacher.
1. What is the source of my ideas about language teaching?
a. Luckily, I have a degree in early childhood/elementary education. This helps me plan and create lessons that have real-world connections. I try my best to tweak the lessons into language based objectives.
2. Where am I in my professional development?
a. I believe I need more training in the field of ESL. Even though I have experience teaching elementary school, I still am not completely equipped to handle the ESL world.
3. How am I developing as a language teacher?
a. I believe I am taking the right steps in becoming a better language teacher. I enrolled in this program (STG) to prove I am willing to improve.
4. What are my strengths as a language teacher?
a. I believe that my training as an elementary teacher can help me create structured lesson plans. With this, there will be less biasness and the lessons can be adjusted for all students of different levels.
5. What are my limitations at present?
a. I believe that I still need more mastery of the ESL world. I need to know more about phonetics, theory and grammar structure.
6. Are there any contradictions in my teaching?
a. Possibly in the way I create lessons plans, thinking that they are fair in leveling. From this, I sometimes do not check-up on the advanced students and focus more on the struggling students.
7. How can I improve my language teaching?
a. I need to know the ins-and-outs of ESL. Phonetics, theories and grammar to be precise.
8. How am I helping my students?
a. I help my students by connecting the lessons into real-world situations that are relevant to their lives. I also structure my lessons and model the activities with different perspectives so that the students can adapt to the objective.
9. What satisfaction does language teaching give me?
a. I love it when students gain that “ah-ha” moment in learning. I love the fact that they can use the English language in their everyday lives.
Wow, such a different teaching environment to mine. I don't know how I'd cope! The kids seemed really enthused which is great. I liked the fact you had a first-person, teacher view with the camera. Really gets the viewer into the interactions.
ReplyDeleteThanks. Yea, it takes a lot of patience sometimes, but it's worth it.
ReplyDelete